Re: Combine RE/RS proposals?

From: David G. Durand <dgd@cs.bu.edu>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 15:34:49 -0400
To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
The list in the following may help to clarify things..

At 11:20 PM 9/30/96, Charles F. Goldfarb wrote:
>At that point it might be best to bite the rest of the bullet and always
>delimit
>data. Look at the advantages:
>
>1. No need to access a DTD to determine if an element is mixed content.
>2. All REs and RSs are ignored -- full stop! (See, I'm internationalized :-)
>3. Really easy parsing.
>4. Much simpler to explain.

Or, by contrast:
================

It might be best to bite the rest of the bullet and never delimit
data. Look at the advantages:

1. No need to access a DTD to determine if an element is mixed content.
2. No REs, RSs, or other whitespace are ignored.
3. Really easy parsing.
4. Much simpler to explain.
5. No quotes to get wrong -- ever.

   -- David

RE delenda est.

David Durand                  dgd@cs.bu.edu | david@dynamicDiagrams.com
Boston University Computer Science          | Dynamic Diagrams
http://www.cs.bu.edu/students/grads/dgd/    | http://dynamicDiagrams.com/