Re: FPIs

>  From Charles@sgmlsource.com Thu Nov 28 11:26:58 1996
>  From: Charles@sgmlsource.com (Charles F. Goldfarb)
>  To: w3c-sgml-wg@w3.org
>  Subject: Re: FPIs
>  Date: Thu, 28 Nov 1996 19:10:37 GMT

>  On Wed, 27 Nov 1996 18:26:22 -0800, bosak@atlantic-83.Eng.Sun.COM (Jon Bosak)
>  wrote:
>
>  >2. If you start creating FPIs that begin "-//SUN::SUNSOFT" then you
>  >can count on spending the next few years of your life in court with
>  >our trademark lawyers.
>
>  Sun undoubtedly has an ISBN publisher's prefix.

No, we don't. SunSoft Press has one, and so does JavaPress, but not Sun Microsystems Inc.,
or SunSoft or SMCC - our publications (the ones you receive when you buy a Sun workstation,
or by special order) do not carry ISBN numbers.

>  Why not just prefix it to your
>  FPIs and use the standard the way it is supposed to be used?

In what way does "-//SUN::SUNSOFT" deviate from the standard? I would think
that a deviation from the standard would be to use "+//SUN::SUNSOFT".

But let me put this another way. We really want to be able to start our
FPIs with "+//SUN::SUNSOFT".  How do we accomplish this? What authority
is there today to register this?  "Real soon now" doesn't quite cut
it.

>  Your present approach is reminiscent of a B western where the powerful rancher
>  takes over a part of the unfenced common pasturage and threatens anyone who
>  "trespasses" on it. Beware ... Roy Rogers is still alive and well (and living in
>  Victorville, California).

Oh please. In what way is the string "SUN::SUNSOFT" common pasturage in the age
of trademarks?

Eduardo