Re: unmarked linkend awareness by XML engines

Steven R. Newcomb wrote:

> Dave is right when he says that there is ultimately no techno-fix for
> policing the rights of information owners.  However, there are things
> we can do to make commerce in information-use licenses easier.  True
> independent linking can really help a lot, I think.

I agree.  I also point out that all of Dave's arguments
which are in technical fact, true, are the same arguments
used prior to PICS to prevent a serious technical answer being
given to a serious social problem created by the management
of that technology.  Content policy can be noted and enforced as
well as anything else.  The beastie is just a machine. Whether with
XML, XML link management systems, or other handlers, such
enforcement of policy will occur.  Inevitable and irrefutable.

But not worth hassling with here and now.  Application conventions
of consortium apps will arise in response to customer pressure just
as PICS has.

len