Re: RS/RE, again (sorry)

At 05:59 PM 12/11/96 -0500, Eve L. Maler wrote:
Where is
>the right place to make the distinction, if there's no DTD?  Is is the
>stylesheet?  If so, are there any technical barriers to doing this?

The implication is that you need a different stylesheet (one that ignores
whitespace in "element content") if your document is parsed by a
non-validating parser (or "just a parser", in Gavin's terminology) vs. a
validating parser (or a parser whose output is made 8879 conformant by a
post process, in Gavin's terminology). This is, as far as I know, the
current situation in XML. I presume we are only discussing the issue because
that solution was considered inelegant.

I'm presuming that mixed content is no longer a problem. If input newlines
are not going to behave like "RE" in mixed content, then those attribute
hacks are basically useless. Just pass all of the mixed content whitespace
through, all of the time.

 Paul Prescod