RE: comments on Web Architecture First Edition

Dan, Pat,

Speaking personnally I have a lot of sympathies with the problems that Pat
has found with our document and the frustration it engenders. The two
senses, which he dubs (C) and (D), of our use of the terms "(semantic,
represent, identify, refer, about, meaning, resource) "  are recognisably
present (IMO) and I feel that Pat has gone a long way toward diagnosing and
detailing the problem. I for one have found his comments interesting and
helpful. I actually find it reassuring that Pat has found a reading under
which "almost the entire document makes perfect sense" although I'm not sure
which reading he regards Dan/Roy as rejecting - I too need to re-read much
of this to restore context. I would also want to aim to produce a document
that at the end of this process Pat actually finds useful, rather than
worthy of an F "in a high-school English class". I'd also want to enlist his
help in that venture.

To focus on a bit of the actual commentary below. Pat, you pick on the
following sentence several times.

"The World Wide Web is a network-spanning information space of resources
interconnected by links"

I'll admit that I think it could be clearer. You repeatedly question whether
various conceptual and real-world articfacts (sometimes distant real-world
artifacts) are actually "interconnected by links":

> I take it then that a resource is something that can be connected by a
> link to another resource. I presume also that "link" here means more
> than simply a reference to something,  but connotes an actual connection
> of some kind (eg along which information can be transmitted.)

I read the work "link" in that sentence simply as a reference to something
and the sense of "connectedness" to be the existence of such references. I
certainly don't take it to mean the existence of some 'physical' connection
or medium "along which information can be transmitted". The sense of
'interconnectedness' by 'links' feels to me like (directed) arc's in a graph
migh the said to connect the nodes in the graph.

I don't know whether that give more or less comfort, but that is how this
TAG member reads the phrase "resources interconnected by links". [And I'd be
happy with entities (or thing) instead of resources, but that's confusing
for XML people for whom the word "entity" has yet another meaning, and I can
live with resources because the us an R in URL, URI and URN which does seem
to be the local vernacular].

I think that some of the 'polemic' in your response follows a reading of
interconnection and links as "an actual connection" and the assertion you
then make seem bound to that reading. I guess the sense of physical links
(rather than mere references) is encouraged by the "network-spanning"
adjective (? F for English :-))  early in the sentence.

I agree that there is a difference between these two senses. The notion of a
'link' on the web has long been associated with the making of such
references, so I don't think it's use in this context is as alien as you
appear to portray it. I'd be happy to use other words than 'connected' like
'related' or 'associated'. I'm also (I think) comfortable with the notion
that some resources are incapable of making such 'references'  - but I
suspect I risk zig-zagging across the (C)/(D) line.

I've had some thoughts about how we might more globally address your concern
which I'll write up separately and see how they fly. They are in similar
vein to parts (but not all) of TimBLs response on this thread [1].

Best regards

Stuart
--
[1] http://www.w3.org/mid/7709C979-842C-11D8-A0E3-000A9580D8C0@w3.org