RE: Is this really it? (was: I18N response draft3)

At 12:50 30/09/03 +0200, Jeremy Carroll wrote:
> > [[
> > Why we didn't accept I18N's objection to the design of XML literals
> >
> > 1. Review status of the WG, noting that we're long overdue, losing
> > participation, and that the I18N desideratum for "seamless plain and XML
> > literals" was only articulated well after the end of LC1.  This might use
> > material from my earlier message [1].
>
>Hmm, while finding much of your msg compelling .. I note that this
>requirement "seamless plain and XML literals" is not part of the objection -
>so we don't particularly need to justify not addressing this.

OK, that was poor phrasing on my part.

Some actual wording from the I18N formal objection [1] is:

+ provide solutions as close as possible for plain literals and XML Literals
+ Do not require programmers/users to trade off use of language information
against other goals, such as markup integrity.
+ It is very important to have a consistent way to identify the language of
a piece of text in any technology so that generic operations needing this
information can use it easily.
+ to write queries that search for both plain literals and XML literals
+ possible to keep markup as is without loosing language information

My phrasing may have been poor;  I was trying to refer to goals such as
these, which I was not aware were articulated to the group until after LC.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2003/09/ri434

Graham Klyne
GK@NineByNine.org