RE: I18N Issue alternative: a passing thought.

>On Thu, 2003-09-18 at 08:17, Jeremy Carroll wrote:
>[...]
>>  The additional blank node was at the heart of the untidy proposals (either
>>  explicitly or implicitly) and this proposal is essentially untidiness
>>  revisited.
>
>Is it really? After a quick read, I also came to the
>conclusion that consideration of this proposal involves
>reopening the datatypes issue...
>   http://www.w3.org/2000/03/rdf-tracking/#rdfs-xml-schema-datatypes

I was hoping it would not.

>but just to confirm, Pat, in your proposal, does this
>entailment hold or not?
>
>    <a> <b> "10" .
>    <c> <d> "10" .
>
>entails
>
>    <a> <b> _:l .
>    <c> <d> _:l .

That was the idea, but I see that this would mean that it would be
impossible to have "chat" in French and "chat" in English in the same
graph.  So on reflection, I don't think this old idea really does
allow us to have tidy literals and optional lang tags. We really
cannot have it both ways.  Either literals somehow 'include' a
language - in which case, if you don't display it as part of the
literal, the graph is untidy on literal strings - or else they don't,
in which case asserting the language as a property  has no semantic
basis.

Oh well, never mind.  Sorry to waste everyone's time.

Pat

>-- draft question: option C 10 Oct 2002
>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2002Oct/0098.html
><- 11 Oct 2002 minutes
>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2002Oct/0131.html
><- http://www.w3.org/2000/03/rdf-tracking/#rdfs-xml-schema-datatypes
>
>--
>Dan Connolly, W3C http://www.w3.org/People/Connolly/

IHMC	(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501			(850)291 0667    cell