MIME type regostration notes

At 16:25 30/10/03 +0000, Brian McBride wrote:
>ACTION 2002-04-05#2 Aaron
>   complete rdf mime type registration

Here's the current situation as I see it.

The current published draft is [1], dated 11-Sep-2003.

This was released following Aaron's request for review [2], and personal
feedback from me following informal WG discussion [3].

As far as I can tell, the latest draft was not announced on the ietf-types
mailing list [4], so (unsurprisingly there has been no comment).

I have re-reviewed the latest version (just now), and note the following
minor points:

(a)  I think this is OK, but I note that a charset parameter is noted, with
use per application/xml.  I mention this because there has been some recent
discussion [5] about the undesirability of charset parameters on XML MIME
types.  I think that deferring to application/xml is the right thing to do,
but if this is likely to be an issue, we might add a note to the effect
that use of the charset parameter is discouraged.

For now, I suggest:  do nothing.

(b)  Small matter.  There the registration says:

[[
       Encoding considerations:

          Same as charset parameter of application/xml.
]]

maybe it would be more appropriate to say just:
[[
       Encoding considerations:

          Same as application/xml.
]]

(c) I note that the document title for citation [3] is incorrect -- it
should be "RDF Semantics".  This may be an out-of-date xml2rfc BibXML
module ... I note that the current version of BibXML from xml.resource.org
has the correct name for the latest draft release.  (BTW, these citation
files for W3C documents are automagically generated from W3C's own RDF
published details.)

(d) RFC2119 is mentioned in the reference list, but never actually cited in
the document.

These are all nits which can probably be sorted out in the publication process.

Item (c) raises a question of timing.  Should we hold off requesting
publication until the final RDF drafts are published?  I think not:  RFC
publication is a lengthy process, and updating the references to the final
versions should be easy enough, and should be clearly seen as merely
editorial changes.  It might be worth adding a "Note to RFC editor" to
check for the final published document details.  (This is common practice
when publishing sets of RFCs.)

So where from here?  I suggest:
(1) remind folks on the ietf-types list [4] that a revised document is here
for review.
(2) assuming no adverse feedback, request IESG approval for RFC publication.

[1]
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-swartz-rdfcore-rdfxml-mediatype-03.txt
     Also, HTML at
     http://www.aaronsw.com/2002/draft-swartz-rdfcore-rdfxml-mediatype-03.html