Re: Peter's objection to the RDF(S) rules

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Peter's objection to the RDF(S) rules
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 19:20:32 -0500

> On Mon, 2003-10-06 at 19:03, pat hayes wrote:
> [...]
> > in our case,
> > the RDF(S) rules transform RDF(S)-entailment into simple entailment,
> > so that  S rdf-entails E iff you can derive an S' from S by using the
> > rdf rules such that S' simply entails E; but we don't give rules for
> > simple entailment itself.
>
> Yup, that's how I understand it.
>
> I had to scratch my head a bit the first time I thought
> hard about this, but I'm quite content with it.
>
> [...]
>
> --

If this was indeed the case then I would not be worrying so much about the
situation.  It appears to be the case for RDF entailment, but the RDFS
entailment rules are still incomplete.  The RDFS entailment rules fail to
reduce RDFS entailment to simple entailment.  As of the last version of the
RDF Semantics document that I reviewed there was no operational
specification for RDFS entailment.

Peter F. Patel-Schneider