RE: Fwd "a comment on NFC"

pat hayes wrote:
> You know, Francois, this analogy doesn't help
> your case.  Obviously using a non-normal form is
> not a crime or a sin, and it is not evil,...

I apologize if "evil" is seen as too strong a wording.  Obviously the mere
fact of producing a non-NFC string is not evil.

> If most, or
> even a substantial fraction, of the world is
> 'evil' then it is our job to allow them to be
> evil, and the priests can go to hell.

NFC was designed especially so that it matches the huge majority of current
and predictable usage.  Almost any string you can type with most keyboard
drivers or transcode from most legacy encodings is automatically NFC.  You
will not find a substantial fraction of people doing non-NFC as a matter of
fact.

What you may find is a small but scary minority who will intentionnally do
non-NFC to take advantage of holes in software that doesn't pay attention to
the issue.  Worm, visuses, forgeries, that kind of things.

--
François