Re: working on it (RDFS - if/iff)

On Thu, 2003-06-26 at 16:43, Dan Connolly wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-06-26 at 06:00, Jeremy Carroll wrote:
> > (escaped early)
> >
> > Pat
> >
> > we still have to *decide* whether we want to go the way in the documents you
> > produced last week, or along the lines of the after hours conversation.
>
> I agree that we need to decide...
>
> DanBri, Graham, Jan, Mike Dean, everybody: please let's
> make this decision consciously. Please form an opinion
> and let us know.

I'd like to see a table of factual pro's and cons - separated from the
rhetoric - to enable that decision.  If folks send in their views, I'll
try to synthesize one before the telecon, if no-one beats me to it.

[...]

> I tried to find a WG decision that might shed some light
> on why the WG chose iff vs. if semantics, but I couldn't find one,
> save the decision to go to last call, which confirmed all the
> things we delegated to the editor. I don't think the WG
> has a considered opinion on the matter.

Nonetheless the WG did endorse the decision by going to last call.  The
issue on the table, as far as I'm concerned is dealing with horst-01.
horst-01 is about the incompleteness of the closure rules with respect
to the MT.

[...]

> I don't think the WG has a clear considered opinion on that.
> Yes, in going to last call, we confirmed the text that had
> the model theory normative and the rules informative.
> But can you point me to a WG decision that actually says
> "we're going to make a model theoretic contract with
> the users"? I don't think the WG expects the users to
> grok model theory.

In considering changing it we might consider the effect on those users
who do grok MT.  In particular I have in mind being clear about the
effect on Owl.