owl:subClassOf ? [was: Re: working on it]

On Thu, 2003-06-26 at 06:28, pat hayes wrote:
> Guys, I now have connectivity.

:)

> I have been working on a version of the semantics doc along the lines
> several of us discussed after last Friday's telecon. It is still
> incomplete, but I will keep a version here:
>
> http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes/RDF_Semant_Edit_Weak.html
>
> I hope it will be reasonably final by Friday, though I may not have
> the proofs written out until early next week. At the time of sending
> this email, only section 4 has been rewritten and that not fully; the
> rule section hasnt been done yet.
>
> In this, *all* the RDF/S semantic conditions are 'if' not 'iff', so
> the correspondence to the rules will be easy to establish, and the
> relevant closure lemmas easy to prove. The only extra condition added
> is that all classes are subclasses of rdfs:Resource, which I think is
> needed to make sense of the 'empty' domain and range conditions, and
> in any case is handled fully by rdfs 7a
>
> The complete RDFS rules are now rdfs 1, 2, 3,4a,4b,6, 7a, 9,10,11;
> the correspondence to the semantic conditions is very clear.
>
> I plan to discuss the 'extensional' versions and mention the extra
> rules they sanction (5,7b,8,12) but without any claim of
> completeness. Thus, the overall content will be similar to the last
> version except that a simple basic RDFS rule set can be complete and
> included in the normative spec in the way that will make DanC's heart
> lighter.

I'd like to be sure we understand the relationship of rdfs:subClassOf to
Owl.  As I understand things, the intent is that Owl would retain
extensional semantics.  Is that correct.

If so, then Owl want a stronger notion of subClassOf than that proposed
in this document for rdfs:subClassOf.

Would that meant that the 'correct' thing for WEBONT to do would be to
define owl:subClassOf as a subproperty of rdfs:subClassOf?