Re: Closure Rule rdf2 generates infinite set of triples

Brian McBride wrote:

> On Tue, 2003-06-10 at 14:59, pat hayes wrote:
>
>>>I noticed that closure rule rdf2 in
>>>
>>>  http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/RDFCore/TR/WD-rdf-mt-20030117/#rdf_entail
>>>
>>>will generate an infinite number of triples from any triple with an xml
>>>literal as its object.
>>>
>>Is that really the case? I still have not got a clear picture of what
>>the XMLliteral value is supposed to be or how it relates to the
>>lexical form, but my understanding was that the lex2value mapping was
>>a pretty simple normalization process, so that the set of lexical
>>forms which map to the same 'value' would be reasonably small.
>>

> Jeremy is the expert.  I was thinking there may be places where I can
> add unbounded amounts of whitespace, e.g. spaces between attribute
> values.
>
> Brian

In the lexical space and the value space XMLLiterals are simply (isomorhpic
to?) strings.

i.e. identity and equality are the same.

However, in RDF/XML documents Brian is correct, you can have arbitrarty
whitespace in certain places - but it gets squashed before you get to the
lexical space.

Jeremy