Re: first pass parseType="Literal" text for primer

Brian McBride wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 15:26, Frank Manola wrote:
>
>>Brian--
>>
>>I have both some editorial comments and some technical comments about this.
>>
>>Editorial comments:
>>
>>Putting this as a section 4.5 seems OK.
>>

> I'm happy for you to suggest somewhere better, but this looked ok to me.

No alternative needed, it's fine there.

>>  This will have us covering
>>parseType="Literal" in 4.5, and we already cover parsetype="Collection"
>>in 4.2.  As I've already mentioned, we probably in that case should
>>cover parseType="Resource" too, but this can easily be added to 4.4 (and
>>there's already an example there that uses it, so all I have to do is
>>point out what it does).  All I need to do then is add a forward
>>reference from the typed literal section (2.4) and a brief mention to
>>these types of "other facilities" at the beginning of Section 4.
>>

> The primer doesn't have to cover everything.  I think we need stability
> more than text on parseType="Resource".

Well, it doesn't have to cover everything, but there's already an
example of parseType="Resource" in the Primer (in the rdf:value section
4.4), it just isn't explicitly discussed at all.  And, having added a
discussion of parseType="Literal", I think it would look funny to
explicitly talk about two of the three (current) values of the
rdf:parsetype attribute, and not the third one.  Anyway, I've already
written the description to go into Section 4.4, and it's only three
additional sentences.

>>I think we're going to have to explain a bit further what the "need for
>>care" is at the bottom of the example.  It might not jump out at someone
>>right away.  Also, I wonder about calling this stuff "rich text";  it
>>might remind people of rtf, and that's not what we're talking about.
>>

> Ok - dropped rich text.  Added more words about care.

One instance of "rich text" remains, but it's easy to take out.

>>I also think we need to say something explicitly about xml:lang.  A
>>couple of examples use it already (even before we introduce this new
>>one), but since one of the issues surrounding this material has been
>>xml:lang, we probably should say something about it.
>>

> The text does.  Its used in the example and there is specific mention of
> not inheritting it from its context.

Ok, good.

>>Technical comments:
>>
>>1.  Your example uses HTML, but according to the definition of
>>XMLLiteral, the value is supposed to be XML.
>>

> Looks like XML to me.

Yes, but the original text *said* it was HTML.  Anyway, your new text
fixes this.

>> We could say XHTML instead
>>of XML, but I think we also need to say something explicitly about
>>handling HTML (and any other non-XML stuff that looks like markup).
>>People might think they can put any old markup in there, and get a surprise.
>>

> I'm inclinded not to make this too complicated.  I suggest it makes the
> point we need to make and that is sufficient.

Since the text no longer mentions HTML, I agree we don't have to deal
with this.

>>2.  What happens if someone, instead of using parsetype="Literal",
>>writes an element with markup content as a regular typed literal with an
>>rdf:datatype attribute value of rdf:XMLLiteral?
>>

> That is a corner case I don't expect to cover in the primer.

Hmmm.

>>  I would assume this is
>>supposed to work the same way as writing parsetype="Literal", and the
>>element content needs to obey the same rules, but we don't explicitly
>>say anything about it (either saying it's allowed, and it works the same
>>way, or explicitly forbidding it).  Syntax doesn't seem to explicitly
>>cover this case either.
>>

> New text follows shortly.
>
> Brian

Cool.