RE: response to semantics comment pfps-01

OK, how about this. RDF can't say whether a datatype that
is asserted as a member of rdfs:Datatype does or does not
conform to the minimal characteristics of all instances
of rdfs:Datatype, no more than it can know explicitly what
the L2V mapping is, etc. of a given datatype.

It is syntactically correct to say rdf:datatype="&xsd;ENTITY"
and only a datatype aware processor that recognizes the
(possibly non-RDF-valid) datatype xsd:ENTITY can say if it
is or is not RDF-valid, and if not, that processor may choose
to issue a warning or error, but may still do something
useful.

I.e., I don't want to preclude folks from doing it, but I
want it to be clear that it is in some key ways wrong,
because of the nature of the datatype in question.

Just as we define some test cases where we say that

   _:x _:y "10"^^xsd:int .

XSD entails

   _:x _:y "010"^^xsd:int .

but does not XSD entail

   _:x _:y "0005"^^xsd:int .

even though RDF/S alone says and knows nothing about
XSD semantics, so too we should be able to say that

   "xyz"^^xsd:ENTITY

is in certain ways wrong, erroneous, false, whatever
based on the same source of knowledge that allows us
to assert the above entailment and non-entailment.

And the reason why those key characteristics of rdfs:Datatype
are important is that they insure against ambiguity. For
any datatype ddd which is in rdfs:Datatype, it is assumed
that for a lexical form lll, that "lll"^^ddd will always
denote one and only one resource. Datatypes that fail to
conform to the characteristics of rdfs:Datatype may very
well allow "lll"^^ddd to denote multiple resources, which
breaks the very foundation of RDF.

Patrick