Re: xml:lang in exclusive C14N - digging through the archives

Hello Jeremy,

Yes, the end result of exclusive canonicalization was acceptable
for I18N in that the REC concluded clear text on the limits of its
function and use.

So for example, it would be appropriate (in terms of language information)
for a Web Services application to use exclusive canonicalization as the
base to sign or otherwise process a SOAP body part, because SOAP <Body>
and <Envelope>, the two elements above it in the SOAP document, don't
allow xml:lang.

An equivalent example for RDF would be the situation where no
elements of the actual RDF syntax would allow xml:lang, except
the property elements that don't have rdf:parseType='Literal'.
[note: this is not a proposal for new syntax]

Making sure that a spec notes the limits of its function and use
is not the same as endorsing it for all uses.

Regards,    Martin.