Re: rdfs / reification vocab -- progress?

pat hayes wrote:

>> re http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2003Aug/0138.html
>> ACTION 20030808#6 path to draft a sentence for alternative reification \
>>     text to go into schema.
>>
>> Pat, any progress on this? We need something to wrap up
>> http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/RDFCore/20030123-issues/#pfps-11
>

> 5.3 Reification Vocabulary
> The original RDF Model and Syntax Specification [ RDFMS ] defined a
> vocabulary for describing RDF statements without stating them. The
> current RDF specification does not assign a normative formal semantics
> to this vocabulary, but describes an intended meaning which is described
> here.

I'm a bit concerned that some people (particularly those not familiar
with [RDFMS]) reading the above two sentences might get the impression
that [RDFMS] defined a normative formal semantics which the current RDF
specification has somehow removed.  I think something along the lines of
the following might be more accurate:

"The original RDF Model and Syntax Specification [ RDFMS ] defined a
vocabulary for describing RDF statements without stating them. [ RDFMS ]
did not provide a formal semantics for this vocabulary, and the informal
definition that was provided was somewhat inconsistent [***or
"confused", or insert some other favorite mildly pejorative term
instead***]. The current RDF specification does not assign a normative
formal semantics to this vocabulary.  However, an intended meaning of
this vocabulary (which generally clarifies the intent of the [ RDFMS ]
definition) is described here."

> An informal introduction to the reification vocabulary, with
> examples, may be found in the RDF Primer [ RDF-PRIMER ].

Pat, are you satisfied that the Primer does a reasonable job of
informally introducing the reification vocabulary, and is also
consistent with the text you've provided?

--Frank
<snip>