Re: XML literals

>While I have sympathy for the approach
>suggested, I fear it moves even further away
>from what Martin/I18N seem to be asking for,
>which is that XML literals and text are more
>like each other, not less.

I don't think it makes any difference at all to that issue.

But in any case, we cannot go in two opposite
directions at the same time.  Datatypes values
are NOT like text.  We could treat XML literals
much more like text, but that would require us to
not treat rdf:XMLliteral as a datatype.  The WG
seems to be unwilling to go in that direction. As
long as XML literals are treated as typed
literals they are not being thought of as text.
If the result disappoints i18n, and if we feel
that this is the way RDF should go, then we must
simply decide to disappoint them. If we wish to
accede to their demands, then we must choose some
other way to handle XML literals. I no longer
greatly care which we choose, but I do care that
we do not spend the next 20 years vacillating one
way and then the other, trying to keep everyone
happy. It is IMPOSSIBLE to keep everyone happy.

Pat