Re: Another Comment on Owl Ref {was: Re: Denotation of owl:Class)

On Sun, 2003-04-27 at 07:04, Brian McBride wrote:
> Oh dear, I was hoping there was good reason for making the
> distinction.  Can someone confirm Jeremy's view.

I can't. I probably should be able to confirm or deny,
but I can't.

At first I was under the impression that owl:Thing
was disjoint from owl:Class and owl:Property, even
in OWL Full. But somebody told me that wasn't right;
in order to make the layering stuff work out,
owl:Thing is the same as rdfs:Resource in OWL Full;
at that point, I decided I didn't care enough
to count angels on heads of pins further; all the
test cases I'm interested in work the way I expect
them to work, so I'm fat-dumb-and-happy.

> If Jeremy is right, I can't avoid suggesting another comment:
>
> RDFCore has been advised that Owl would still work correctly if term
> owl:Class were replaced by rdfs:Class.
>
> RDFCore therefore requests that the term owl:Class be dropped and replaced
> by rdfs:Class as this helps clarify the relationship between OWL and RDF(S)
> and eliminates possible confusion caused by the introduction of unnecessary
> redundant terms.

If any such motion is put to RDF Core, please record me as abstaining.