Re: williams-01, proposal to close (sect 3.2)

OK, now I see.  Thanks.

I propose:

   "the representation of triples containing blank nodes"

which is almost what you suggested, less the word "concrete".

So the revised paragraph in 3.2 would be  (noting that "statement" was
previously similarly misused in the first sentence):

[[
A convention used by some linear representations of an RDF graph to allow
several statements to reference the same unidentified resource is to use a
blank node identifier, which is a local identifier that can be
distinguished from all URIs and literals. When graphs are merged, their
blank nodes must be kept distinct if meaning is to be preserved; this may
call for re-allocation of blank node identifiers. Note that such blank node
identifiers are not part of the RDF abstract syntax, and the representation
of triples containing blank nodes is entirely dependent on the particular
concrete syntax used.
]]

At 21:59 09/04/2003 +0300, Jeremy Carroll wrote:

> >Concerning section 3.2
>
>The problem is that the phrase:
>
>"the representation of statements containing blank nodes"
>
>can be parsed
>

>   representation
>   /                 \
>the                of statements
>                               \
>                               containing blank nodes
>
>with the statements containing the blank nodes
>or
>
>         representation
>     /         |                   \
>the     of statements      containing blank nodes
>
>with the representation containing the blank nodes.
>
>Neither statements nor (concrete) representations contain blank nodes.
>Blank nodes only appear in triples, which are abstract representations of
>statements. I take the representations here to be concrete representations in
>which blank nodes are indicated for example by a blank node identifier.
>(I would accept that blank nodes appear in representations drawn as graphs
>with circles without labels)
>
>Jeremy
>

>.

Graham Klyne