RE: Issue jsr-118 (global datatyping)

It's one thing to have vocabulary that will not be understood at
lower levels, or for which there will be inferences that can be
made at a higher level that do not hold at the lower levels.

It's another issue to have different inferences at different
levels based on the very same statements.

If my RDF-only application holds the following entailment:

IF
   _:x ccpp:BitsPerPixel "2" .
   _:x ccpp:Model "2" .
THEN
   _:x ccpp:BitsPerPixel _:v .
   _:x ccpp:Model _:v .

yet if for my CC/PP application, that entailment does *not* hold,
then that is non-monotonicity, and that is completely unnacceptable.

Compare to

   _:x ccpp:BitsPerPixel "2"^^ccpp:Number .
   _:x ccpp:Model "2"^^ccpp:Literal .

which does not entail

   _:x ccpp:BitsPerPixel _:v .
   _:x ccpp:Model _:v .

And note that I have not used any vocabulary but the CC/PP vocabulary.

The proposal promotes non-monotonicity.

We should recommend to CC/PP that they adopt typed literals in their
serializations since the CC/PP semantics clearly deals with datatype
values.

CC/PP knowledge about terminals is only one subset of knowledge about
terminals, and that knowledge should have a consistent interpretation
both by CC/PP specific applications as well as arbitrary RDF applications
consuming that knowledge.

As such, any non-monotonicity, or any other incompatibility between
CC/PP specific and RDF-general interpretations of CC/PP expressed
knowledge should be avoided.

Patrick