Re: simplified datatyping proposal

On 2002-02-21 22:01, "ext Jeremy Carroll" <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com> wrote:

> ... all talking about the same idiom
>

> <Jenny> --ex:age--> "15"
> ex:age --some:range--> eg:Integer .
>
> and the differences lie in the subtly of the model theoretic treatment.

> We can punt on the model theory for datatyping, and provide a syntax for the
> one bit we can agree on.

I fully agree. This is the gist of the "Dummies" approach. The MT is
fairly anemic insofar as the actual datatyping interpretation is
concerned, but we still provide an explicit, strict and consistent
set of guidelines that tell applications what the idioms mean, even
if that meaning is not captured in the MT interpretation.