Re: simplified datatyping proposal

On 2002-02-20 19:56, "ext Pat Hayes" <phayes@ai.uwf.edu> wrote:

> I don't think that the union idea works mathematically, is the
> problem.

It does if you don't insist on literal nodes denoting a value.

If they consistently denote just a literal, and their treatment
as a lexical form denoting a value lives in the interpretation
alone, within the context of a datatype, then it works fine,
I think.

> as long as you are prepared to accept that this is a
> non-monotonic construction. That is going to stick in many craws,
> however.

RDFS range and domain constraints *are* non-monotonic. You can
have one range constraint in your graph, and I can have another
in my graph, and when we merge our graphs, both our values
will get different interpretations than for each graph separately.

Cest la vie.