Re: around the table on datatypes [ was: Re: datatyping draft 3 (for telecon)]

On 2002-02-19 4:46, "ext Dan Connolly" <connolly@w3.org> wrote:

> [...]
>>> (b) S-B, i.e. a way to use rdfs:range to restrict the range
>>> of a property to the lexical space of some datatype.
>>
>> OK, let me try to fix this.
> [...]
>> Happy with that?  It's a small extra write-up.
>
> Yes, something like that.
>
> Meanwhile, note that
>
> ex:integer rdfs:range _:x .
> ex:otherProperty rdfs:range _:x .
>
> Isn't serializable in RDF/xml; the user has to make
> up a real (URI ref) name for _:x.
>
> Not a show-stopper, but something we need to explain.

It seems to me to be alot cleaner, economical, and simpler
to just round out the set of range constraint properties
with rdfs:lrange.

rdfs:range    "value range"     value space only
rdfs:lrange   "lexical range"   lexical space only
rdfs:drange   "datatype range"  union of value and lexical spaces

No need to muck about with extra URIs or special interpretation
of the intersection of two range constraints with the same
bNode (or URIref) value, etc.

If you want e.g. dc:date to only take inline idiom
values which are members of the lexical space of xsd:date,
just say

   dc:date rdfs:lrange xsd:date .

Done. Clear. Simple.

Eh?