Re: URIs vs. URIviews (core issue)

>On 2002-02-15 10:24 PM, "Graham Klyne" <Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com> wrote:
>
>>  RDF uses (or allows use of) fragment identifiers in a way that is
>>  presumed to be independent of any particular data representation that a
>>  resource may have.
>
>Yes, and moreover, the URI RFC says that this is specifically not the case:
>
>"The semantics of a fragment identifier is a property of the data resulting
>from a retrieval action, regardless of the type of URI used in the
>reference.  Therefore, the format and interpretation of fragment identifiers
>is dependent on the media type [RFC2046] of the retrieval result."
>  - RFC 2396, section 4.1
>
>I think DanC and I agree that this is the core issue of debate.
>
>Dan claims that this doesn't restrict the meaning of URIs-with-fragments
>(i.e. they can be treated like any other URI), I claim it restricts them as
>to make them useless for our purposes.

I fear to tread in these waters, but could this be resolved by
regarding RDF as being like a media type? That is, RDF applications
will treat fragment IDs in a particular RDF-ish way, as far as the
rest of the Web is concerned (so the view from RFC 2369 is that RDF
is a media type) but in fact are treated uniformly by RDF in the
privacy of its own application environments (thus satisfying the RDF
feeling of freedom expressed in the first quote.)

??

If this is complete nonsense, ignore it.

Pat

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes