RE: datatyping draft 3 (for telecon)

Dan said:
> On Fri, 2002-02-15 at 02:14, Patrick Stickler wrote:
> > If you use the S-B like idiom, where the literal is the
> > direct object of the property,
>
> Yes, that's what I mean by S-B.
>
> > then you are simply not
> > using any datatyping.

Perhaps a more accurate statement is that you would ignore
the datatyping that he is doing. His code would quite
happily accomplish a number of useful tasks, like detecting
when a garbage value was provided. He could also reuse a lot
of existing code, like stuff that parses the wide variety of
date formats so we can do sensible date comparisons.

> I have a choice to use S-B whether this WG
> endorses it or not. If this WG endorses
> it, I'm likely to get more interoperability;
> I'd like that.

I'm in massive agreement with Dan on this.
This WILL be used. It already has been. More is on the way.
You probably don't want to cut yourself off from very
large sources of production-quality info which happens
to have a very simple structure typed in this very simple
way. After all, 'quantity has a quality all its own'.

Ron Daniel Jr.
Standards Architect
Interwoven, Inc.
Tel: 408-530-5922
Cell: 925-368-8371
Email: rdaniel@interwoven.com

Visit www.interwoven.com
The Leader in Enterprise Content Management