Re: reification test case

>On 2002-02-04 18:50, "ext Dan Brickley" <danbri@w3.org> wrote:

>>>  But a bNode of type rdf:Statement is not a triple, it
>>>  is the reification of a triple to which can be added
>>>  additional knowledge such as authority, source, scope,
>>>  etc.
>>
>>  shall we say it is a 'description of' a triple? (avoiding the
>>  term 'reification' wherever possible strikes me as a useful strategy,
>>  at least while we're discussing rdf:Statement...)
>>
>>  compare this to a 'description of' a Book, or a person, or any other type
>>  of thing whose instances might be described using bNodes in an RDF graph.
>>  In each such case the properties we attach to the bNode correspond to
>>  properties of the specific individual thing (some book, some person, some
>>  triple...) described.
>
>OK. I see your point.
>
>>>  Whether two reification bNodes describe the same triple
>>>  does not necessarily mean that other properties ascribed
>>>  to each of those bNodes individually apply to all bNodes
>>>  reifying the same triple.
>>
>>  Trying this again swapping 'triple' for 'person':
>>
>>  whether two [reification] bNodes describe the same Person
>>  does not necessarily mean that other propeties ascribed
>>  to each of those bNodes individually apply to all bNodes
>>  [reifying/describing] the same person.
>>
>>  I'm not sure this works.
>
>Right. I agree that both bNodes refer to the same triple,

Hey, don't give in so easily. I don't see that we have any reason to
assume that they do refer to the same anything. The things they refer
to have some properties in common, is all we can say. They might have
other properties that differ, however, eg maybe one was written on
Tuesday in Boston and the other was written on Friday in Orlando.

Some properties must be shared, since those follow from the ones we
know are the same. They have the same truthvalue, in particular, so
they entail the same things; and they take up the same amount of
storage space. But that's about all.

Pat

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes