Re: Semantics doc now in shadow TR space

>Concerning:  http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes/RDF_Semantics_finalCall_2.html
>
>At 03:12 PM 12/15/02 -0600, pat hayes wrote:
>>Datatype clashes are the only inconsistencies recognized by this
>>model theory. The definition of entailment means that a
>>D-inconsistent graph D-entails any RDF graph; however, it will
>>usually not be appropriate to consider such 'trivial' entailments
>>as useful consequences, since they are not valid rdf- or rdfs-
>>entailments.
>
>I'm puzzled by the use of "inconsistency" here .. my understanding
>is that technically, the concept of consistency depends on negation,
>which is not recognized in RDF.
>
>[From Metalogic, Geoffrey Hunter:
>"A system S is Simply Consistent iff for no formula A of S are both
>A and the negation of A theorems of S."  He then goes on to define
>absolute consistency for systems with the possibility to express
>negation of any formula.]
>
>My take on this had been that a D-inconsistent graph is unsatisfiable.
>
>Ah, I see you're using a different definition of inconsistency
>(http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes/RDF_Semantics_finalCall_2.html#glossInconsistent).
>So my comment becomes simply:  your definition of inconsistency
>seems to be, er, "inconsistent" with some other published
>definitions.

Well, not *inconsistent* with.

My own usage is that 'inconsistent' refers to any unsatisfiable
syntactic condition, not just those involving negation.
Description-logic frameworks can become unsatisfiable in other ways
than having (P and notP ) derivable, since they aren't necessarily
deductively complete.

But perhaps it would have been better to have used 'unsatisfiable'.
I'll take that as a last-call fix before final pub, OK?

Pat
IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola              			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501           				(850)291 0667    cell
s.pam@ai.uwf.edu   for spam