Re: XML documents are character sequences, not byte sequences

At 05:02 PM 12/13/02 -0600, Dan Connolly wrote:

>Jeremy,
>
>In 3. XML Content within an RDF Graph (Normative)
>
>http://sealpc09.cnuce.cnr.it/jeremy/RDF-concepts/20021121/Overview.html#section-Literals
>Thu, 21 Nov 2002 22:50:34 GMT

Do you mean:
   http://sealpc09.cnuce.cnr.it/jeremy/RDF-concepts/20021121/Overview.html#section-XMLLiteral
?

>I see:
>
>"Encode the resulting Unicode string in UTF-8 to form the corresponding
>XML document."
>
>but XML documents are character sequences,
>not byte sequences.

Oh yes, I missed that.  I think that para can be struck.

>http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#sec-well-formed
>
>Er... actually, there might be more than
>one entity in a document, in which case
>it's not clear that the whole thing is
>one character sequence.
>
>Ugh... maybe it's not clear what an
>XML document is. But I don't see how
>UTF-8 is relevant to the definition
>you gave.
>
>I suggest taking it out.

I don't think I understand all that.  Does removing the UTF-8 encoding para
satisfy your concern here?

#g

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>