Re: Datatypes, datatype classes, URIs and uniqueness

>At 18:19 09/12/2002 -0600, pat hayes wrote:
>
>[...]
>
>>>I think that it would be better to say that datatype URIs denote
>>>the datatype class, the instance of rdfs:Datatype, and that the class
>>>extension is the value space of the datatype.
>>
>>that would be clearer. I will rephrase this to make it clear there
>>is no ambiguity.
>
>Hmmm, I'm not so sure about that.  I think that datatypes as
>interpretation properties will be used, and it was Patrick that
>argued that he didn't want multiple uri's, and Pat's rather neat
>model theory trick that allows a resource to have both a class and a
>property extension.
>
>If we say that the URI denotes the class, I wonder if we run into
>problems with the fact that its up to xsd to say what the URI
>denotes and into issues with the using the same uri for both the
>class and the property.
>
>My mental model was that the URI denoted the datatype, as specified
>by the xsd folks - its their uri after all, and we define what the
>class extension of that URI is.

I think that we are all in violent agreement here. Denoting a class
in RDFS *is* denoting a thingie with a class extension. So in the
case of datatypes, the datatype *is* the RDFS class. Its also a
datatype, and the point is that there is no incompatibility or
ambiguity involved.