Re: Datatypes, datatype classes, URIs and uniqueness

At 18:19 09/12/2002 -0600, pat hayes wrote:

[...]

>>I think that it would be better to say that datatype URIs denote
>>the datatype class, the instance of rdfs:Datatype, and that the class
>>extension is the value space of the datatype.
>
>that would be clearer. I will rephrase this to make it clear there is no
>ambiguity.

Hmmm, I'm not so sure about that.  I think that datatypes as interpretation
properties will be used, and it was Patrick that argued that he didn't want
multiple uri's, and Pat's rather neat model theory trick that allows a
resource to have both a class and a property extension.

If we say that the URI denotes the class, I wonder if we run into problems
with the fact that its up to xsd to say what the URI denotes and into
issues with the using the same uri for both the class and the property.

My mental model was that the URI denoted the datatype, as specified by the
xsd folks - its their uri after all, and we define what the class extension
of that URI is.

Brian