RE: type test case

Well, the XML Schema spec explicitly mentions that xsi:type
is used to specify a Simple Type (§2.2.1.2) or Complex Type (§2.2.1.3)
so it is IMO reasonable for any application that sees xsi:type
to presume that the datatype in question conforms to XML Schema.

So, even if the "range" of xsi:type is a QName, that QName is
expected to denote an XML Schema type.

No?