Re: DATATYPES: mental dump.

On Mon, 12 Nov 2001, Dan Connolly wrote:

> "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" wrote:
> [...]
> > [...]
> >
> > Regardless of the situation with respect to incompatibility with RDF, I
> > view incompatibility with XML
>
> I gather you mean XML Schema, not XML 1.0 itself...
>
> > as a fatal problem with both these proposals.
> > I think that a scheme that is not compatible with
> >
> >         [possibly some some xml schema stuff that may or may not type the 7 below]
> >         <foo [possibly some xml schema stuff that may or may not type the 7 below]>
> >           <bar [possibly some some xml schema stuff that may or may not
> >                 type the 7 below]>
> >                 7
> >           </bar>
> >         </foo>
> >
> > is a non-starter.
>
> Er.. that's an awfully high bar. To date, it hasn't been necessary
> to implement XML Schema in order to parse RDF.
>
> I think that any scheme that requires an RDF parser to include
> an XML Schema processor to be a non-starter.

Until we reach a point where XML schema (or its successor) handling and
RDF parsing is just a piece of pluggable technology that you download
off the shelf, I'd have to agree.

jan

PS. XML-schema compatability seems to be more of an "improved RDF
syntax" issue, which therefore seems to be a "wait until RDF n (n >
1.0)" thing. Having a solid foundation for DTing in the _model_ is,
imho, far more important and something that we can address now.

The Java disclaimer: values of 'anywhere' may vary between regions.