Re: datatypes and MT

Graham Klyne wrote:

> At 08:59 AM 11/7/01 -0600, Dan Connolly wrote:
>
>> > In which case, I think you're flying in the face of existing RDF
>> > practice.
>>
>> Well, yes, I'm aware that folks say things like
>>         the string "Dan Connolly" wrote a mail message
>> and I hope we can show/convince folks that this is
>> not a good idea.
>

> I think it's fine to educate people that it's not a good idea, but with
> the current understanding and use of RDF I think we should allow it to
> be legitimate RDF which *can* be interpreted as the designers intended.
>
> I think it's a fair trade-off that a fully-generic RDF processor
> (reasoner?) cannot access the intended meaning without supplying some
> additional information, which may be awkward to do.
>
> So the statememt:
>
>    <http://www.ninebynine.org/> dc:creator "Graham Klyne" .
>
> should be allowed to be consistent with:
>
>    <http://www.ninebynine.org/> dc:creator
>        [ a foaf:Person ; foaf:name "Graham Klyne" ] .
>
> even if it doesn't, of itself, convey the same information.

 From my experience, there lies madness. I wonder if I can
convince folks who haven't walked in my shoes for the last
few years...

In this case, there's just one author of that web site;
let's presume we've communicated that formally...
then we have something that's both
an rdfs:Literal and a foaf:Person. I would
think those classes are disjoint.

Then there's the "turtles all the way down" problem...
if literals work that way in the case of dc:creator,
do they also work that way in the case of foaf:name?
i.e. is

   [ a foaf:Person; foaf:name "Graham Klyne" ]
consistent with
   [ a foaf:Person; foaf:name [ rdfs:value "Graham Klyne" ] ]
or something? can I do it again with rdfs:value? when
do we get to the bottom?