Re: datatypes and MT

At 08:59 AM 11/7/01 -0600, Dan Connolly wrote:
> > In which case, I think you're flying in the face of existing RDF
> > practice.
>
>Well, yes, I'm aware that folks say things like
>         the string "Dan Connolly" wrote a mail message
>and I hope we can show/convince folks that this is
>not a good idea.

I think it's fine to educate people that it's not a good idea, but with the
current understanding and use of RDF I think we should allow it to be
legitimate RDF which *can* be interpreted as the designers intended.

I think it's a fair trade-off that a fully-generic RDF processor
(reasoner?) cannot access the intended meaning without supplying some
additional information, which may be awkward to do.

So the statememt:

    <http://www.ninebynine.org/> dc:creator "Graham Klyne" .

should be allowed to be consistent with:

    <http://www.ninebynine.org/> dc:creator
        [ a foaf:Person ; foaf:name "Graham Klyne" ] .

even if it doesn't, of itself, convey the same information.

<Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>