Re: heading toward datatyping telecon

A few musings, to borrow Graham's term.

As I understand Pat's proposal, the main idea requires literals to be subjects.
   Now, RDF/XML doesn't allow us to represent literals as subjects and we have
decided that extending it is out of charter.  However, in Pat's proposal bnodes
can match literals as well as resources, so we could use bnodes for now and
extend later.  Yes?  If so we can focus our discussions now on the bnode
representations.

Pat's proposal defines a type to be a mapping from a lexical space to a value
space.  That means that a hexadecimal integer is a different type from a decimal
integer.  That's going to be confusing to programmers.  I suppose we could
define integer to be a super-class of hexadecimal integer and decimal interger,
i.e. for each value space define a class that all types mapping to that value
space are subclasses of.

Still somehow that does not sit right with my intuitions.  In rdf schema I want
to  say that the value of a property is an integer; after parsing I don't much
care whether is was represented in decimal, binary or hieroglyphics.  rdf schema
is about describing the data model, not the syntactic representation.

How would I write a schema that would allow the value of a property to be either
a decimal or a hexadecimal integer?

How do the different approaches handle merging of graphs, as in:

Consider RDF/XML serializations of two graphs each describing
http://example/thingy.  Each has an eg:size property for http://example/thingy.
  In one graph the size is represented by a decimal integer "12".  In the other
the size is represented by the hexadecimal integer "C".

How would software, knowing that http://example/thingy has only one size
property, merge the graphs given the different approaches.

Brian