Re: Issue http://www.w3.org/2000/03/rdf-tracking/#rdfms-not-id-and-resource-attr

Dave Beckett <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk> wrote:

> The confusion is the different interpretation of rdf:ID in
> propertyElt when the element is empty / non-empty.

It was my understanding that the issue was the fact that statements using
resources as objects could not be reified. For example:

       xmlns:e="http://rdf.example.org/#">
      <rdf:Description rdf:about="#bar">
        <e:someProperty rdf:ID="foo" rdf:resource="#baz" />
      </rdf:Description>
    </rdf:RDF>

would be expected to create the triples:

<#bar> e:someProperty <#baz> .

<#foo> rdf:type rdf:Statement ;
       rdf:subject <#bar> ;
       rdf:property e:someProperty ;
       rdf:object <#baz> .

But the grammar does not allow this because of the (somewhat unexpected and
little-known) usage of ID to name a new property.

Along with Jan Grant's proposal for removing the creation of new resources
on empty propElts, I think that the use of ID to name them should also be
removed. Thus your option 2 would always be the case.