General and specific resources? (every document is in the Web)

On Friday, June 15, 2001, at 02:33  PM, Dan Connolly wrote:

> And as Roy Fielding pointed out, RFC2396 itself
> uses 'resource' only in the stricter sense;
> he (among others) haven't bought in to the
> way the RDF spec uses the term.

I think you are misrepresenting the issue. The issue is not that
resource is only used in the stricter sense (in fact, the URI
RFC makes it clear that resources can be anything "with
identity"). The problem is that URI-refs (URIs plus fragments)
are not defined to represent or relate to resources in any ways.

Roy and others were aware of this problem at the time they
drafted the spec -- they did it on purpose. It's a feature, not
a bug. The problems is that if you allow fragments to represent
resources, you run into all sorts of problems (many of which RDF
is already experiencing).

RDF needs to reconcile itself with web architecture somehow, and
I feel that this is a serious issue for the Working Group to
address.

I wrote up a summary of the issue at:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-interest/2001May/0137.html