Re: completion of action: 2001-07-27#2 (long)

>oops - forgot to include
>
>(P164) Where pred is a property (member of Properties), sub is a
>      resource (member of Resources), and obj is either a resource
>or a literal
>      (member of Literals).
>
>Brian McBride wrote:
> >
> > pat hayes wrote:
> > [...]
> > > Wait a minute. The subject is a URI, not a Resource, right?  The
> > > Resource is what the subject (a piece of syntax) denotes, not the
> > > subject itself.
> >
> > Not according to M&S
> >

>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2001Jun/att-0021/00-pa
>rt#159
> >
> >    1.(P159) There is a set called Resources.
> >    2.(P160) There is a set called Literals.
> >    3.(P161) There is a subset of Resources called Properties.
> >    4.(P162) There is a set called Statements, each element of
>which is a triple
> >       of the form
> >
> >       (P163) {pred, sub, obj}

OK, but then this really does not make sense, because the M&S also
says that 'Resource' includes off-webbish things like (real) books.
So taken quite literally, this would allow a Statement to be a triple
whose second element is, say, volume 1 of the 1815 edition of
Brittanica. (Not an URI of said book, but the actual book itself,
with leather covers, weighs around 3 lbs.)

So I suspect that the M&S is here, as elsewhere, just being sloppy
about the use/mention distinction. At least I hope it is.

Pat

(650)859 6569 w
(650)494 3973 h (until September)
phayes@ai.uwf.edu