small samples

From: T. V. Raman <raman@adobe.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 09:11:56 -0700
To: Ron Whitney <RFW@math.ams.org>
Cc: w3c-math-erb@w3.org
FRon Whitney writes:
 > Here are some more samples which involve embellishment of symbols.  To
 > clarify how semantical information might be attached, I've asked a
 > couple of questions in the notes.

Pushing this approach too far really brings out the need to have extensibility
 addressed. The concerns of having the ability to express semantics where
 possible without tying down authors or the system is far better addressed
 than trying to come up with a large collection of denoting different
 "embellished" operators.
This is not a criticism of Ron's excellent examples --it's just an attempt to
 point out that perhaps by postponing our efforts at extensibility we're
 making more work for ourselves both now and later.

To illustrate:

Consider an author wishing to write a Legendre symbol legendre (p,q)

TeX:
${p \atop q}$
Of late, we have been discussing two entirely divergent possibilities for
encoding semantics--
a) A completely semantic markup (which I like most of us in this ERB think is
impossible however much we may want it)
and

b) Layout oriented markup made as unambiguous as possible --an approach which
in principle I favor

Though you could come up with other markup for the Legendre symbol  and perhaps even
embellish it in some way to provide semantics hints, the extension mechanism
if present would make this and a plethora of other examples easy to handle:

To illustrate using TeX's extension mechanism:

\newcommand\legendre[2]{{#1\atop#2}}
We denote by $\legendre{p}{q}$ ...

--
Best Regards,
--raman

      Adobe Systems                 Tel: 1 (415) 962 3945   (B-1 115)
      Advanced Technology Group     Fax: 1 (415) 962 6063
      (E 1-160) 1585 Charleston Road       Email: raman@adobe.com
      Mountain View, CA 94039 -7900  raman@cs.cornell.edu
      http://www-atg/People/Raman.html (Internal To Adobe)
      http://www.cs.cornell.edu/Info/People/raman/raman.html  (Cornell)
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed are my own and in no way should be taken
            as representative of my employer, Adobe Systems Inc.