RE: exc c14n bugs

Hi Joseph,

I misread the latter part of the sentence in 3.3.3 because it currently says "different namespace prefix and value" where it should say "same prefix and different value", so I thought the whole of 3.3.3 was not accounting for an ancestor that writes the same prefix with a different value.

The latter part of 3.3.3 needs to be fixed.  Your proposed text [2] (below) fixes the problem by entirely rewording the latter part of the sentence (which is OK with me), but in accounting for the problem, just replacing 'it' by 'the prefix' is sufficient.

By the way, the replacement is necessary because 'it' is bound to N, and ancestor elements of E don't contain N.  The best they could do is contain namespace nodes that are equivalent to N.  This is what I wanted to fix.

Thanks,
John

On Wednesday 05 June 2002 12:36 pm, John Boyer wrote:
> Anyway, 3.3.3 seems to need a tiny bit of clarification.  The first part
> says "it has not been rendered by any output ancestor".  Based on what
> happens in 3.3.2, one could read 'it' as being the namespace prefix, or
> one could and probably should interpret 'it' as meaning the namespace
> node N.  Neither of these is right.  The first part should be "no output
> ancestor has rendered a namespace prefix and value equal to those in N".

Why are neither interprations correct? I'm not saying it might not benefit
from clarification, but the whole of the rule starts to get difficult to
parse as you've proposed [1] and I think either interpration is correct. If
specificity is desired, I'd prefer to use the "prefix" [2]. (I've tried
writing this a number of times... If we go with [1], it feels like we could
do something to grammatically compact the sentence...)

[1]  no output ancestor has rendered a namespace prefix and value equal to
those  N,  or the nearest output ancestor of its parent element that
visibly utilizes the namespace prefix does not have a namespace node in the
node-set with the same namespace prefix and value as N.
[2]  the prefix has not yet been rendered by any output ancestor, or the