RE: Why is the Target attribute in SignatureProperty required?

sorry, i canot follow your argumentation.
if my SignedProperties is inside the Object element of a signature, i really
do not need this reference. even though, i must set it, because it is
required (however, the ID of the signature itself is optional).
if the target is present, the application must nevertheless check if this
SignedProperties is really covered by a reference in the signature, when it
verifies the signature. the Target attribute does not relly help in many
cases. i agree that there might be applications where it is useful to have
such a Target attribute, but it should be optional rather than reuqired, i
think.
this Target is only useful in applications where you have separated
SignedProperties and you need to find the signature which signs it. i think
that this is not common practice. normally you need to come from the other
direction - you have the signature and get the SignedProperties of it, for
which you use the references directly.

regards

  Karl

--

Karl Scheibelhofer, <mailto:Karl.Scheibelhofer@iaik.at>
Institute for Applied Information Processing and Communications (IAIK)