Signature Portabilit, CanonicalizationMethod, etc.

From: Donald Eastlake 3rd <dee3@torque.pothole.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 12:41:56 -0400
To: w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org
CC: Donald.Eastlake@motorola.com
Hi,

Attached are two hunks of HTML.

One is a replacement for Section 4.3.1: The CanonicalizationMethod
Element. It adjusts it for the removal of MinimalCanonicalization from
the document and has an added security warning about allowing arbitrary
CanonicalizationMethod functions.

The second is a replacement for Section 7.3: Namespace Context and
Portable Signatures.

While I have more or less followed the trend of recent discussion in
editing these sections,  the more I think about it the more it seems to
me that, unless it mandates the implementation of a canonicalization
that substantially divorces the canonicalizaed XML from its context,
XMLDSIG fails to provide interoperable signatures for protocol applications.

Thanks,
Donald