Re: signature portability / C14N / inherited namespaces, etc.

From: Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 18:18:15 -0400
To: "Joseph M. Reagle Jr." <reagle@w3.org>
Cc: Eastlake III Donald-LDE008 <Donald.Eastlake@motorola.com>, "'xml-encryption@w3.org'" <xml-encryption@w3.org>, IETF/W3C XML-DSig WG <w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org>, Hugo Haas <hugo@w3.org>
"Joseph M. Reagle Jr." wrote:
> 1. Leave it to the application. In response to Merlin's question about DOM
> [1], Philippe Le Hégaret confirmed that removeChild will divorce the child
> from its ancestor namespace declarations.

The subtree is divorced from its parent, and thus from any ancestor
namespace declaration.

Note that DOM Level 2 does not use the concept of namespace resolution
defined by the Namespace recommendation. Each element/attribute carries his
own namespace name (aka namespaceURI in the DOM model) without using the
namespace resolution. We don't deal with the possible missings/conflicts in the
xmlns prefix declaration. This issue will be resolved by DOM Level 3 with the
synchronization with the Infoset.

Philippe
[1]
http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-DOM-Level-2-Core-20001113/core.html#Namespaces-Considerations