AW: AW: Call for Implementation: Canonical XML Becomes a W3C Candidate Recommendation

Hi Joseph,

> At 11:22 11/3/2000 +0100, Gregor Karlinger wrote:
> >Please fill in a "Y" in all fields of the matrix,
>
> Ok, have done [1]

Thanks.

> >* Example 4 does not result in the expected canonicalization, since the
> >   XML parser used does not correctly normalize an attribute of type ID.
>
> Ok, I presume the parser will be fixed or tweaked. (Note I
> believe both of
> these problems were encountered by Petteri as well [2].)

Yes, I have heard that there will be a fix in the Xerces parser we are
using in the next update.

> >* Example 7 only results in the expected canonicalization, if the test
> >   file is modified in a way, that the example can be parsed using a
> >   validating parser. Otherwise the id function in the document subset
> >   selector XPath will not return any element.
> >John,
> >a question regarding example 7: Can I really expect from a non validating
> >parser, that it recognizes the types of attributes, especially the type
> >of ID attributes? If not, then an XPath using the id() function cannot be
> >used for selecting a document subset to be canonicalized.
>
> I'm not sure how this thread ended, did John's response [3] close
> the issue,
> are we still thinking, or actually disagreeing about adding "the
> remaining
> parts of the DTD, and additionally provide some textual description about
> this problem of using the id() function. [4]

Good question. Having read [3], I also thought John would like to close the
issue.

I am not very happy with the current situation, since I do not want to build
the functionality for the XML id() mechanism for my own, but want to utilize
existing parsers.

For the Xerces DOM parser I can state, that selecting a
DOM element by specifying the value of its ID attribute is only possible if
the DOM model has been built using validating parsing.

Regards, Gregor
Gregor Karlinger
mailto:gregor.karlinger@iaik.at
http://www.iaik.at