  From: w3c-ietf-xmldsig-request@w3.org
[mailto:w3c-ietf-xmldsig-request@w3.org]On Behalf Of Carl Wallace
  Sent: Monday, March 13, 2000 7:32 PM
  To: Barb Fox; dsig
  Cc: pmhesse@cygnacom.com
  Subject: Re: KeyInfo questions/comments

  Barb,

  Thanks to Brian's comments I understand now the idea is for KeyInfo to
serve as a "hint" and little/nothing more.  However, I still fail to see
where KeyValue provides anything in the way of "base interoperability" where
a PKI application receives a key via KeyValue from a non-PKI application and
thus fail to see why KeyValue is required.  It seems only to provide enough
interoperability for a non-PKI application to deliver a key that cannot be
validated to a PKI application.

  Without clarification in the text as to the intent, I believe the
structures provide too much of an invitation to be used in a manner not
consistent with the intent.  As for the DSA parameters, since using them
directly from a KeyValue is not the idea, why mandate their inclusion?
Certainly there would be no harm in relaxing the requirement that every
KeyValue include them; a simple minOccurs=0 seems appropriate.  It would
definitely save many bits spent on information that's really more nice to
have than necessary for many/most implementations.

  -Carl