suggest text re "Type", resend

I believe the changes I suggested before are close to what we agreed
to at the Face to Face.

Donald

To:  w3c-ietf-xmldsig@w3.org
cc:  dee3@torque.pothole.com
Date:  Thu, 13 Jan 2000 23:06:28 -0500
From:  "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <dee3@torque.pothole.com>
Subject:  suggest text re "Type"

Replacement for paragraph re Type in 2.3 (assuming dropping of
Package/EqManifest):

resource identified by the <TT>URI/IDREF</TT>.  In particular, it can
indicate that it is an <TT>Object</TT>, <TT>SignatureProperties</TT>,
or <TT>Manifest</TT> element.  This can be used by applications to
initiate special processing of some <TT>Reference</TT> elements. For
this reason, it is RECOMMENDED that when a <TT>Reference</TT> is to
data which may require such special processing and such data is within
an <TT>Object</TT> element, the <TT>URI/IDREF</TT> be to the enclosed
element / data. When a <TT>URI/IDREF</TT> is to an <TT>Object</TT>
element itself, the <TT>Type</TT>, if given, SHOULD indicate
<TT>Object</TT>. Note, however, that <TT>Type</TT> is advisory and no
action based on it or checking of its correctness is required by core
behaviour.</p>

Add to 2.4:

Note that an application could decide whether to verify a
<TT>DigestValue</TT> based on the <TT>Type</TT> given in the enclosing
<TT>Reference</TT>.

Add an "Other Useful Type" value for Object.

 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd                      dee3@torque.pothole.com
 65 Shindegan Hill Road, RR#1                        +1 914-276-2668
 Carmel, NY 10512 USA