Re: XML types for new signature properties equivalent to ASN.1 constructs.

I'll just quickly point out that I think the place for substantive technical
discussion of this would be the list Peter recently started [1]. However, I
think it's good for people on this list to be at least aware of these
proposals. In particular, in the legal/policy context regulators may be
considering limiting the legal standing of signatures specifically to
implementations that use contemporary X509 structures. (Consequently,
precluding legal standing to implementations using other structures and
syntax). In speaking with folks on this topic, we've talked about the likely
hood of this scenario, and hopefully it is unlikely and policy makers will
focus on information requirements and not syntax. But it is something to
keep an eye on and speaks to a political reason (at least) for the expedient
development of XML equivalent structures (but again, not in this WG's scope
<smile>).

[1] http://jcewww.iaik.at/mailarchive/xmlcert/msg00001.html