Re: XML certificate ...

At 17:59 2000-05-09 -0500, Gunther Schadow wrote:
 >As the world reinvents everything using XML, might it not be time to do
 >the same with certificates?  I think the world of certificates could
 >use a big shake-up.

Other people share a similar opinion. Other than the general interest from
and conversations in other WGs, Juha Paajarvi has presented [1] a SPKI cert
structure [2] and Satoshi Hada presented on a ASN>1/XML Translator [3].
However, certificate structures are something that are specifically ruled
out of scope for this WG.

        ... The working group will not address the following issues:
        XML schemas for certificates.
        http://www.w3.org/Signature/charter-20000105.html#_Scope

I encourage proposals to the degree that we can ensure the Signature design
can work with such structures, and I hope there will be synergies between
our designs, but if there is enough interest (which I hope) it should
instantiate another WG.

[1]
http://www.w3.org/Signature/Minutes/000327-Adelaide/slides-paajarvi-xml-spki-
cert-00.html