Re: Adelaide IETF'47 Draft Minutes are Available

At 16:10 00/4/10 -0400, Joseph M. Reagle Jr. wrote:

> Please send comments, corrections, or additons.
>         http://www.w3.org/Signature/Minutes/000327-Adelaide/

> Joseph Reagle Jr.
> W3C Policy Analyst                mailto:reagle@w3.org
> IETF/W3C XML-Signature Co-Chair   http://www.w3.org/People/Reagle/

I would like to send some comments about minutes because my answer was
misleading.

>>Dean Povey: In your first ideogram you showed translation to ASN.1, but
you have it going both ways

>>Answer: of course you can go to XML
>>
>>Q: but some information is lost ? say you have a context-specific tag, I
didn't see any way to represent that; is there something you have to
account for in the DTD

>>Answer: I agree that some information is lost in converting from ASN.1 to
DTD; Q: this is good, but the ability to keep that information is important
. . .

>>Q: but, what I would like to see is the converting the XML representation
to BER . . . because then we have interoperability, but if you can't do it
both ways, then it is not as helpful; you would like to retain some of the
in format

Although XML and ASN.1 are both grammer-based meta-language frameworks for
tree-structured data,
their expressive power is not exactly the same each other (unfortunately,
none is a proper subset of the other).
Our translator is designed such that no information is lost when
translating any ASN.1 data into an XML document.
Information such as data types and context tags is preserved as attribute
values that are specified as defaults in the DTD.
In particular, if the original ASN.1 data is encoded in DER, it is
guaranteed that translating the ASN.1 data to XML and
then back to ASN.1, exactly the same bit string is recovered.
This is a desired property for dealing with digital signatures defined on
ASN.1 encoding.

Please refer to our white paper in XSS4J for more detailed explanation:
http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/xmlsecuritysuite

Satoshi Hada
IBM Tokyo Research Laboratory

mailto:satoshih@jp.ibm.com